Helene and I went to see Dr. G at Penn today. We took the Myeloma numbers and will get them back within a few days but it really is too soon to tell if the Imbruvica is working just yet.
We really don’t have any answers at this time for my Cancer. These plasmacytomas in my chest area are really hindering my breathing. I now have a home oxygen machine which is feeding me oxygen through a tube in my nose. I also have two traveling canisters of O2 which I can travel with. Today, however, on the way to Philly I went through both of them and had no oxygen for the car ride home.
The trouble area for these plasmacytomas is that they decided to hang out on my lung. If the Imbruvica doesn’t work in keeping them at bay or reducing them, we need to move onto another therapy. There is one promising drug, Selinexor, which is in trial and also the T Cell therapy at NIH. Helene, Dr. G and I are pushing hard on NIH to speed up their process but we are looking at July at the earliest. If the Selinexor trial doesn’t work, we could go back to other therapies like Revlimid or Carfilzomib which I had good initial response to but how long would those drugs actually work if they do at all?
This really puts me between a rock and a hard place. The plasmacytomas can’t be radiated because they are too spread out on the lung and the field is too big to treat. If they grow and my breathing worsens, it could be bad news. So, we will continue to measure the blood counts in the hopes of some good numbers and continue to watch the symptoms – breathing etc. – to find improvement.
It aint over yet!